This session will pair presentations from lessons learned from two cycles of an “SDGs Cities Challenge”, a multi-city, group-learning engagement that has been piloted in both Australia and the United States, with interactive exercises for the audience to walk through their own localization process.
• Whole-of-government and cross-departmental approaches to sustainability leadership
• Data platforms for SDG tracking, including a deeper understanding of SDG indicators and metrics
• City budgeting for SDG impact
• Case stories for how cities — including Malmö, São Paulo, and Orlando — are incorporating the SDGs into their processes, including steps to completing a Voluntary Local Review of the SDGs.
The academic presentation includes both political leadership and technical expert presentations, followed by “breakout room” conversations with the audience, to deliver a workshop-style format across 60 minutes. Following a Mayor’s welcome address and positioning remarks from a session organizer, the session will move into a technical series of presentations, featuring 3 cities that have completed their Voluntary Local Reviews of the SDGs. Following the technical presentations, the audience will break outinto 3 virtual group clusters, organized around the technical themes presented in the presentations: Data, Whole-of-Government, and Financing for Impact. Each breakout cluster will include the technical city expert associated with its particular topic paired with an ICLEI staff facilitator. The session will close with a short report-out from each cluster.
- Kim Hong-jang, Mayor, Dangjin, South Korea
- Frida Leander, Senior Strategist, City of Malmö, Sweden
- Talita Vieira Antonio, International Affairs Advisor, Municipal Secretary of International Relations, Secretariat of Environment, City of São Paulo, Brazil
- Kelly King, Councilmember, Maui County, Hawaii
- Cathy Oke, Enterprise Senior Fellow in Informed Cities, Connected Cities Lab, University of Melbourne, Australia
11:15-11:20 CEST | Welcome remarks
11:20-11:40 CEST | Technical presentations
Speakers will present their work in relation with the SDGs in their local governments.
11:40-12:10 CEST | Group discussions
The audience will break out into 3 virtual group clusters, organized around the technical themes presented in the presentations: Data, Whole-of-Government, and Financing for Impact. Each breakout cluster will include the technical city expert associated with its particular topic paired with an ICLEI staff facilitator. Breakouts will orient around a line of inquiry to compile audience case stories of how each theme is addressed in global cities. The insights will be collated on a paperboard or whiteboard and barriers addressed by the city technical experts.
12:10-12:15 CEST | Report back & closing remarks