In this session, Build Change and ICLEI will provide a hands-on skills clinic to attendees on how to use planning and assessment tools to increase urban resilience by determining a baseline and tracking progress towards disaster resilient, sustainable and inclusive urban infrastructure and housing. Build Change will present their newly released Resilient Housing Ecosystem Assessment Tool (RHEAT) which allows city and local governments to obtain a snapshot of the current housing environment, by assessing conditions at a given point in time and identify steps towards increased resilience. ICLEI will present its Urban Resilience Planning cycle to Analyze, Act and Accelerate resilient and climate adaptive development, while Fraunhofer will showcase the Resilience Assessment Dashboard developed in the framework of the ARCH project to enable resilience self-assessment in historic areas.
The session will start with a presentation on holistic urban and housing planning. Later, participants will engage in smaller groups with a specific case study to discuss the benefits, gaps and opportunities of RHEAT, ICLEI resilience planning cycle, and ARCH Resilience Assessment Dashboard. Participants will share their results through the online platform (Slido app or similar). The session will follow with a presentation of each table’s outcomes and will finalize with conclusions based on the discussions.
- Juan Caballero, Vice President of Programs, Build Change
- Lizzie Blaisdell Collins, Vice President of Engineering, Build Change
- Monica Schroeder, Associate Director, Global Advocacy, Build Change
- Katharina Milde, Researcher and Project Manager, Fraunhofer IAIS
- Manuel de Araújo, Mayor of Quelimane, ICLEI’s Resilient Development and Risk, Management portfolio holder, Mozambique
- Nazmul Huq, Head of Resilient Development, ICLEI World Secretariat
- Vasileios Latinos, Coordinator, Urban Resilience and Climate Adaptation, ICLEI European Secretariat
13:45-14:00 CEST | Introduction by speakers
14:00-14:35 CEST | Group work in break-out rooms
14:35-14:45 CEST | Closing remarks based on results